Show #581 - January 10, 2011
<< Show582Jan17 | FIRShowNotes.HomePage | Show580Jan03 >>
Call the Comment Lines - North America: +1 206 222 2803 | Europe: +44 20 8133 9844 | Skype: fircomments
| FriendFeed FIR Room: http://friendfeed.com/fir
Get the FIR iPhone app
To stay informed about occasional FIR events (eg, FIR Live), sign up for FIR Update
Happy birthday Eric Schwartzman!; listener comments discussion; News That Fits: can Dave Winer reinvent blogging?, Dan York reports on DimDim and more, the Media Monitoring Minute with CustomScoop, a third of consumers now shopping via mobile, Michael Netzley reports from Singapore, Pollstream promo, David Phillips reports on the envisioning Digital Europe 2030 report; music from The Alice Project; and more.
Time Codes Here!
- 0:00 Intro and opening comments: Happy birthday Eric Schwartzman!
- Listener comments
- 1:20 - Bob Crawshaw
- 2:05 - Rundown of all the congratulatory comments received for the 6th Anniversary.
- 3:04 - Chris Crabrera (e-mail comment) re an outdated link on the FIR site
- 4:23 - Mark Comerford, via FIR FriendFeed? room - his view and reaction to Pollstream's contribution to the show; a summary of comments posted in response.
- 10:20 - Barbara Nixon - Author of a social media book, Deltina Hay, is auto-tweeting and not engaging with the community on Twitter.
- 12:32 - Barbara Nixon - For students in her Social Media for PR classes, required reading: FIR; Bernie Golbach's commented that he also assigns FIR as required reading to his students.
- 13:35 - Ricardo at Amigo Audio: Print-on-deand (POD) bookprinting and its potential impact on bookstores
- 16:32 - Shel's and Neville's response to Ricardo's comments on the subject of POD and the evolution of bookstores
- 20:25 - Message from Ragan Communications - redesigned their website (www.Ragan.com)
- 21:15 - News That Fits (intro)
- 21:50 - Can Dave Winer reinvent blogging?
- 32:10 - Dan York comments on Chris Brogan's blog-idea service; reports DimDim? (web conferencing service) purchased by SalesForce?; the iPhone announcement by Verizon; "It's on the Internet, so it must be true": Facebook is shutting down! and reports of Congressman Gifford's death (not true, either)
- 37:43 - Shel's & Neville's related comments: Skype's acquisition of Quick; DimDim?; misreporting by the media, past and present
- 43:00 - The Media Monitoring Minute with CustomScoop?; the benefits of resting our brains
- 44:15 - a third of consumers now shopping via mobile
- 52:08 - Michael Netzley reports from Singapore; he and his students will be rebuilding their "Digital Media Across Asia" wiki; Twitter in Japan; Groupon-like site in China; Indonesia* 58:02 - Message from Pollstream - what motivates employees?
- 59:47 - David Phillips reports on the envisioning Digital Europe 2030 report
- 1:03:05 - Closing comments
- 1:03:21 - Closing message
- 1:04:35 - Music from The Alice Project: Third Day
Contributions and Comments from these Listeners
Ricardo from Amigo Audio
http://friendfeed.com/fir http://search.twitter.com/search?q=Check+out+my+educational+slides+on+social+media http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/blogging_forefather_seeks_to_re-invent_blogging_ag.php http://scripting.com/stories/2011/01/05/upcomingTheMinimalBlogging.html http://www.brandrepublic.com/go/news/article/1048351/a-third-consumers-shopping-via-mobile/ http://ftp.jrc.es/EURdoc/JRC61593.pdf http://leverwealth.blogspot.com/2011/01/pr-can-ignore-if-you-like-but-internet.html
Today's Music: Third Day by The Alice Project. http://www.myspace.com/thealiceproject
Contributors to show notes for this show (add your name here)